Monday, April 20
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Far superior to the recent remake, this sci-fi classic features Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, and an eerie Bernard Herrmann score utilizing early electronic instruments. 2 p.m., FMC
Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
Oscars for Best Picture and Best Actress went to this portrait of an indomitable Southern matron and her black chauffeur. Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman star. 5:45 p.m., AMC
The Call of the Wild (1935)
The first sound version of Jack London’s classic tale of Alaskan adventure takes liberties with the book. Featuring Clark Gable, Loretta Young, and fine outdoor footage of Washington state. 7:30 a.m., FMC
Jules and Jim (1962)
Arguably director François Truffaut’s finest film, this period drama stars Jeanne Moreau, Oskar Werner, and Henri Serre as a long-lived romantic triangle. 2:35 p.m., IFC
The Trouble With Harry (1956)
A dead body found outside a quaint Vermont town confuses its quirky denizens in Alfred Hitchcock’s droll black comedy, featuring the film debut of Shirley MacLaine. 4:15 p.m., TCM
Funny Girl (1968)
Barbra Streisand won a Best Actress Oscar (she tied with Katharine Hepburn in The Lion in Winter) for her portrayal of Ziegfeld Follies star Fanny Brice. 8 p.m., TCM
Ballad of a Soldier (1960)
This Soviet film has become a classic. On a precious six-day leave during World War II, a kindhearted Russian solider keeps getting sidetracked en route home to his mother. 8 a.m., IFC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week