“Prepare to be shocked,” said Jed Gottlieb in the Boston Herald. Most “supergroups are predictable," but not Tinted Windows: The new band features Taylor Hanson (yes, of “MMMBop” fame), ex-Smashing Pumpkin’s guitarist James Iha, Fountains of Wayne bassist Adam Schlesinger, and Cheap Trick drummer Bun E. Carlos—“strange bandfellows” indeed, but pretty interesting.
But like most other supergroups, said Denise Martin in the Los Angeles Times, Tinted Windows “is interested only in pleasing the power-pop-loving masses.” This may be exciting news for “Top 40 listeners,” but “everyone else” should be rolling their eyes at this new commercial concoction.
Tinted Windows is “something like an Asia for the Alternative Nation set,” said Decider New York. And although “the WTF? novelty of seeing these performers on one stage is the real draw,” the band does a good job of combining "vintage power-pop and The Knack," and its new single “Kind of a Girl” is pretty “infectious.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week