GOOD DAY FOR: Wonder bras, after a 57-year-old Detroit woman was saved from grave harm when the underwire in her bra deflected a bullet. The unidentified woman was shot at by thieves she caught breaking into a neighbor’s house. The bra “did slow the bullet down,” said Detroit police spokesman Phillip Cook. “She sustained injuries but they’re not life threatening.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Summer blockbusters, as U.S. movie ticket sales are up 14-17 percent so far this year, despite the recession—but largely because Hollywood studios have pushed up the release of summer blockbusters. Still, at the present pace, 2009 could be Hollywood’s first $10 billion year at the box office. “I’m not going to say any industry is recession proof,” said Regal theater chain CEO Michael Campbell, “but we’re certainly recession resilient.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week