GOOD DAY FOR: Wonder bras, after a 57-year-old Detroit woman was saved from grave harm when the underwire in her bra deflected a bullet. The unidentified woman was shot at by thieves she caught breaking into a neighbor’s house. The bra “did slow the bullet down,” said Detroit police spokesman Phillip Cook. “She sustained injuries but they’re not life threatening.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Summer blockbusters, as U.S. movie ticket sales are up 14-17 percent so far this year, despite the recession—but largely because Hollywood studios have pushed up the release of summer blockbusters. Still, at the present pace, 2009 could be Hollywood’s first $10 billion year at the box office. “I’m not going to say any industry is recession proof,” said Regal theater chain CEO Michael Campbell, “but we’re certainly recession resilient.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week