GOOD DAY FOR: Wonder bras, after a 57-year-old Detroit woman was saved from grave harm when the underwire in her bra deflected a bullet. The unidentified woman was shot at by thieves she caught breaking into a neighbor’s house. The bra “did slow the bullet down,” said Detroit police spokesman Phillip Cook. “She sustained injuries but they’re not life threatening.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Summer blockbusters, as U.S. movie ticket sales are up 14-17 percent so far this year, despite the recession—but largely because Hollywood studios have pushed up the release of summer blockbusters. Still, at the present pace, 2009 could be Hollywood’s first $10 billion year at the box office. “I’m not going to say any industry is recession proof,” said Regal theater chain CEO Michael Campbell, “but we’re certainly recession resilient.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week