OOD DAY FOR: Wonder bras, after a 57-year-old Detroit woman was saved from grave harm when the underwire in her bra deflected a bullet. The unidentified woman was shot at by thieves she caught breaking into a neighbor’s house. The bra “did slow the bullet down,” said Detroit police spokesman Phillip Cook. “She sustained injuries but they’re not life threatening.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Summer blockbusters, as U.S. movie ticket sales are up 14-17 percent so far this year, despite the recession—but largely because Hollywood studios have pushed up the release of summer blockbusters. Still, at the present pace, 2009 could be Hollywood’s first $10 billion year at the box office. “I’m not going to say any industry is recession proof,” said Regal theater chain CEO Michael Campbell, “but we’re certainly recession resilient.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week