OOD DAY FOR: Wonder bras, after a 57-year-old Detroit woman was saved from grave harm when the underwire in her bra deflected a bullet. The unidentified woman was shot at by thieves she caught breaking into a neighbor’s house. The bra “did slow the bullet down,” said Detroit police spokesman Phillip Cook. “She sustained injuries but they’re not life threatening.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Summer blockbusters, as U.S. movie ticket sales are up 14-17 percent so far this year, despite the recession—but largely because Hollywood studios have pushed up the release of summer blockbusters. Still, at the present pace, 2009 could be Hollywood’s first $10 billion year at the box office. “I’m not going to say any industry is recession proof,” said Regal theater chain CEO Michael Campbell, “but we’re certainly recession resilient.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week