Ashton Kutcher last week narrowly beat CNN in a race to be the first Twitter user to amass 1 million followers. Kutcher, an actor and producer who sends short messages under the handle @aplusk, challenged @cnnbrk to the duel, promising to donate 10,000 mosquito-net beds to an anti-malaria charity if he won. CNN had reached 998,239 followers when Kutcher crossed the finish line. “We now live in an age in media when a single voice can have as much power and relevance as an entire media network,” said Kutcher.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
Subscribe to the Week