Ashton Kutcher last week narrowly beat CNN in a race to be the first Twitter user to amass 1 million followers. Kutcher, an actor and producer who sends short messages under the handle @aplusk, challenged @cnnbrk to the duel, promising to donate 10,000 mosquito-net beds to an anti-malaria charity if he won. CNN had reached 998,239 followers when Kutcher crossed the finish line. “We now live in an age in media when a single voice can have as much power and relevance as an entire media network,” said Kutcher.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week