ackie Chan, China’s biggest movie star, came under fire this week for telling a group of business leaders that political freedom can lead to “chaos.” “I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese
need to be controlled,” said Chan, who lives and makes his kung fu films in Hong Kong and Hollywood. “If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.” Chan’s speech was widely reported, and condemned, in Hong Kong, but was ignored by the mainland Chinese media.
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week