ackie Chan, China’s biggest movie star, came under fire this week for telling a group of business leaders that political freedom can lead to “chaos.” “I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese
need to be controlled,” said Chan, who lives and makes his kung fu films in Hong Kong and Hollywood. “If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.” Chan’s speech was widely reported, and condemned, in Hong Kong, but was ignored by the mainland Chinese media.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week