Mississippi woman survives shot through the head
A Mississippi woman who had been shot through the head calmly offered arriving police a cup of tea. Tammy Sexton, 47, was shot by her husband, who then turned the gun fatally on himself. When police arrived, Sexton “was holding a rag on her head and talking,” said Sheriff Mike Byrd. “She had made herself some tea and offered the officer something to drink.” Doctors say the bullet somehow passed through a small space between Sexton’s lobes without doing any major damage.
Father of Slumdog Millionaire star tries to sell her for $300,000
The family of Slumdog Millionaire star Rubina Ali tried to sell her for $300,000, says the U.K.’s News of the World. Undercover reporters for the paper say Ali’s father, Rafiq Qureshi, offered to sell them the 9-year-old actress, allegedly explaining, “I have to consider what’s best for me, my family, and Rubina’s future.” Ali’s Uncle Mohiuddin chimed in, “This is NOT an ordinary child. This is an Oscar child!” Qureshi later denied trying to sell the girl, and insisted he’d been set up.
British woman develops an allergy to water
A British woman must drink only Diet Coke, stay inside on rainy days, and avoid her 3-year-old son when he cries because she’s developed an allergy to water. Michaela Dutton, 21, breaks out in hives and blisters if she has any contact with water. “I cannot do anything,” Dutton says. Her throat swells if she drinks anything but Diet Coke, and she must settle for one 30-second shower a week. Doctors have been unable to treat the condition, which afflicts one in 230 million people.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week