No profits for YouTube
YouTube will lose $470 million this year, even though visitors to the site will download about 75 billion videos, according to an estimate by Credit Suisse. YouTube has to pay for a massive broadband connection and expensive licensing fees, while few advertisers want to be associated with goofy, lewd, or bizarre videos.
Canceled raids boost medical marijuana dispensaries
Applications to open medical marijuana dispensaries in California have soared since the Obama administration said federal agents would no longer raid operations that are allowed under California law. In Los Angeles and Oakland alone, pot is now sold openly in thousands of storefronts.
Los Angeles Times
Sales of alcohol to rise by 4.8 percent
Sales of wine, beer, and other alcoholic products are on pace to rise 4.8 percent this year, to $79 billion. Many drinkers are doing their drinking at home, to save money on bars and restaurants.
“Mixed status” families number 8.8 million
Illegal immigrants have given birth to about 4 million children on U.S. soil, a Pew study found. These children are U.S. citizens by right of birth, making about 8.8 million people members of “mixed status” families, in which some members are citizens and some face potential deportation.
San Jose Mercury News
Legal firearm sales soar by 27 percent
Legal firearm sales have soared 27 percent in the first three months of 2009, with nearly 4 million background checks made by the FBI. Many gun owners fear that the Obama administration will impose new restrictions, so they’re buying now.
The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
Subscribe to the Week