“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.”
Thomas Jefferson, quoted in the Roanoke, Va., Times
“Bigotry may be roughly defined as the anger of men who have no opinions.”
G.K. Chesterton, quoted in the London Independent
“Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.”
Kurt Vonnegut, quoted in the BookReporter.com
“Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.”
Frank Zappa, quoted in the Albuquerque Journal
“Hollywood is a place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and 50 cents for your soul.”
Marilyn Monroe, quoted in the New Zealand Herald
“Every time you spend money, you’re casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”
Environmentalist Anna Lappe, quoted in the Montreal Gazette
“Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.”
W.C. Fields, quoted in the London Independent
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week