“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.”
Thomas Jefferson, quoted in the Roanoke, Va., Times
“Bigotry may be roughly defined as the anger of men who have no opinions.”
G.K. Chesterton, quoted in the London Independent
“Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.”
Kurt Vonnegut, quoted in the BookReporter.com
“Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.”
Frank Zappa, quoted in the Albuquerque Journal
“Hollywood is a place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and 50 cents for your soul.”
Marilyn Monroe, quoted in the New Zealand Herald
“Every time you spend money, you’re casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”
Environmentalist Anna Lappe, quoted in the Montreal Gazette
“Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.”
W.C. Fields, quoted in the London Independent
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week