Good for Shepard Smith, said Rod Dreher in Beliefnet. Fox News’ star anchor went “ballistic” in a webcast this week, saying, “This is America! We do not f---ing torture!” And he’s not the only one on the Right who’s realizing “we have to face the ugly truth about what we did” in the name of fighting terrorism. (Watch Shepard Smith call torture un-American on Fox News Channel)
Smith said he doesn’t “give a rat’s ass” whether a harsh interrogation method works, said Noel Sheppard in Newsbusters.org. “Even if it helps save lives, Shep?” It’s amazing how the farther we get from 9/11, the more people “are forgetting that we are indeed at war with terrorists.”
People aren’t forgetting, said David Quigg in The Huffington Post, they just don’t buy into the Dick Cheney mind-set that the ends justify barbaric means. Even if waterboarding and other forms of torture extracted useful information—and that’s definitely debatable—it’s “wrong.” Cheney wraps himself in the flag, but Shepard Smith—“of the dreaded Fox News”—is the one who’s being “patriotic.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week