(Universal Studios, $26.98)
This prequel to the Sci Fi Channel’s new TV series creates a “forceful, potential-filled first impression,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. On-set video blogs and commentary accompany the pilot of this family saga from the producers of Battlestar Galactica.
Though some criticized Stephen Daldry’s film for trivializing the Holocaust, it “retains a sense of gradual, organic moral discovery,” said the Chicago Tribune. Kate Winslet’s Oscar-winning turn as a German woman grappling with her past is a “marvel.”
Lost Concerts Series: Dean Martin
(Well Go USA Inc., $12.98)
This “terrific” DVD captures more than a dozen concert performances by the late showbiz legend, said the Chicago Daily Herald. Among the classics Dino performs are “That’s Amore,” “When You’re Smiling,” and “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week