(Universal Studios, $26.98)
This prequel to the Sci Fi Channel’s new TV series creates a “forceful, potential-filled first impression,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. On-set video blogs and commentary accompany the pilot of this family saga from the producers of Battlestar Galactica.
Though some criticized Stephen Daldry’s film for trivializing the Holocaust, it “retains a sense of gradual, organic moral discovery,” said the Chicago Tribune. Kate Winslet’s Oscar-winning turn as a German woman grappling with her past is a “marvel.”
Lost Concerts Series: Dean Martin
(Well Go USA Inc., $12.98)
This “terrific” DVD captures more than a dozen concert performances by the late showbiz legend, said the Chicago Daily Herald. Among the classics Dino performs are “That’s Amore,” “When You’re Smiling,” and “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week