(Universal Studios, $26.98)
This prequel to the Sci Fi Channel’s new TV series creates a “forceful, potential-filled first impression,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. On-set video blogs and commentary accompany the pilot of this family saga from the producers of Battlestar Galactica.
Though some criticized Stephen Daldry’s film for trivializing the Holocaust, it “retains a sense of gradual, organic moral discovery,” said the Chicago Tribune. Kate Winslet’s Oscar-winning turn as a German woman grappling with her past is a “marvel.”
Lost Concerts Series: Dean Martin
(Well Go USA Inc., $12.98)
This “terrific” DVD captures more than a dozen concert performances by the late showbiz legend, said the Chicago Daily Herald. Among the classics Dino performs are “That’s Amore,” “When You’re Smiling,” and “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week