(Universal Studios, $26.98)
This prequel to the Sci Fi Channel’s new TV series creates a “forceful, potential-filled first impression,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. On-set video blogs and commentary accompany the pilot of this family saga from the producers of Battlestar Galactica.
Though some criticized Stephen Daldry’s film for trivializing the Holocaust, it “retains a sense of gradual, organic moral discovery,” said the Chicago Tribune. Kate Winslet’s Oscar-winning turn as a German woman grappling with her past is a “marvel.”
Lost Concerts Series: Dean Martin
(Well Go USA Inc., $12.98)
This “terrific” DVD captures more than a dozen concert performances by the late showbiz legend, said the Chicago Daily Herald. Among the classics Dino performs are “That’s Amore,” “When You’re Smiling,” and “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
Subscribe to the Week