(Universal Studios, $26.98)
This prequel to the Sci Fi Channel’s new TV series creates a “forceful, potential-filled first impression,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. On-set video blogs and commentary accompany the pilot of this family saga from the producers of Battlestar Galactica.
Though some criticized Stephen Daldry’s film for trivializing the Holocaust, it “retains a sense of gradual, organic moral discovery,” said the Chicago Tribune. Kate Winslet’s Oscar-winning turn as a German woman grappling with her past is a “marvel.”
Lost Concerts Series: Dean Martin
(Well Go USA Inc., $12.98)
This “terrific” DVD captures more than a dozen concert performances by the late showbiz legend, said the Chicago Daily Herald. Among the classics Dino performs are “That’s Amore,” “When You’re Smiling,” and “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week