Priced a full $100,000 more than a regular SL65 AMG, the Black Series looks like an escapee from a no-holds-barred grand touring race. That extra hundred grand pays for carbon-fiber body panels and fixed roof, beefed-up turbos, and a monster 6.0-liter, 661-hp V12 that will hit 60 mph in 3.6 seconds. Top speed is “electronically restrained to 199 mph.” Only 350 of them will be made.
“Recession? What recession?” A driver seated in a sumo crouch at the wheel of this two-seater can ward off talk of hard times “like a mirror reflecting sunlight.” The five-speed automatic acts like a professional driver to tame the engine, performing double-clutch downshifts and preventing destabilizing load-shifts on fast corners or on a slick surface.
Car and Driver
Call it “$300,000 worth of pure wickedness.” The interior is virtually stock for an SL65 AMG, but everything else is “significantly different.” Gigantic wheel arches, vents behind the wheels, and “other sundry scoops and holes” give this car an appearance of “true menace.” The biggest flaws are the conventional, vacuum-assisted hydraulic brakes, which went “spongy” at high speeds.
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week