It’s a parents’ dream come true: A way to lower your kids’ car insurance and have a legitimate excuse to spy on their driving activities. The DriveCam records what’s going on inside and outside a car, and also tracks speed, swerving, and hard braking to assess a driver’s “safety skills.” In exchange for that data, some insurance companies will actually pick up the service fee.
Price: $900 per year; Contact: DriveCam.com
Source: The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
Subscribe to the Week