Fox News “makes a mockery of modern journalism,” said Steve Benen in Washington Monthly, but at least it’s entertaining. And never more so than when “conservative blowhard” Sean Hannity said he would agree to be waterboarded, and invited actor Charles Grodin, a vehement opponent of torture, to do the honors. Hannity said he’d do it to raise money for the families of soldiers, although “I rather doubt” he’ll go through with it. (Watch Sean Hannity discuss waterboarding with Charles Grodin, part 1, and part 2)
Okay, liberals, then “put up or shut up,” said Don Surber in the Charleston, W.V., Daily Mail. The Left is just trying to “politicize the situation” by insisting that waterboarding is torture. If they “really truly believe it is torture,” liberals should pay Hannity to go through with it.
Keith Olbermann is a step ahead of you, said Nico Pitney in The Huffington Post. The MSNBC host offered to kick in $1,000 for every second Sean Hannity endures the waterboarding. And Olbermann said he would double the money if Hannity admits “the horrible truth—waterboarding, the symbol of the last administration, is torture."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
- How ISIS gets its hostages
Subscribe to the Week