“The inevitable has happened,” said Eric Ditzian in MTV News. Susan Boyle, the frumpy Britain's Got Talent sensation, has had a makeover. Boyle, 47, dyed her tangled gray hair a rich brown, and ditched her "drab dresses" for more fashionable attire. It's heartwarming to see that having the opportunity to share her "beautiful voice" with millions has given Boyle new enthusiasm for life.
That's one way to look at it, said The New Zealand Herald. "But some fans were concerned the makeover could change the 'Hairy Angel' into another bland reality TV beauty." After a video clip of Susan Boyle's performance caught fire online, she promised not to let success change her. (Watch Susan Boyle's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream")
Boyle's not hurting anybody by trying to look a little "hipper and younger," said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times. She looks sharp in her black leather jacket and Burberry muffler. "But let's hope she stops here and doesn't head for the tanning booth or the gym. Or worse, to the dermatologist for some Botox and filler."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
Subscribe to the Week