“The inevitable has happened,” said Eric Ditzian in MTV News. Susan Boyle, the frumpy Britain's Got Talent sensation, has had a makeover. Boyle, 47, dyed her tangled gray hair a rich brown, and ditched her "drab dresses" for more fashionable attire. It's heartwarming to see that having the opportunity to share her "beautiful voice" with millions has given Boyle new enthusiasm for life.
That's one way to look at it, said The New Zealand Herald. "But some fans were concerned the makeover could change the 'Hairy Angel' into another bland reality TV beauty." After a video clip of Susan Boyle's performance caught fire online, she promised not to let success change her. (Watch Susan Boyle's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream")
Boyle's not hurting anybody by trying to look a little "hipper and younger," said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times. She looks sharp in her black leather jacket and Burberry muffler. "But let's hope she stops here and doesn't head for the tanning booth or the gym. Or worse, to the dermatologist for some Botox and filler."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week