ood day for: Calling in sick, as people were evacuated from several buildings in New York City and Jersey City after a large jet flew low over Manhattan tailed by two jet fighters. The plane turned out to be an Air Force One look-alike flying by so Air Force photographers could take pictures. (The New York Times)
Bad day for: The peso, as the Mexican currency dropped sharply, along with Mexican stocks, as investors worried that a swine-flu outbreak would hurt the country’s already battered economy. (Marketwatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week