President Obama had better watch out, said Canada’s Calgary Herald in an editorial. The “vaulting ignorance” of his Homeland Security secretary, Janet Napolitano, could do serious harm to Canada, and strangle U.S.-Canada cross-border trade. Napolitano has said that the terrorist threat from the Canadian border is worse than that from the Mexican one, “as if there were any real similarities” between Mexico and Canada! Worse “rubbish,” she wrongly stated that 9/11 terrorists entered the U.S. from Canada. Does she also believe that “Elvis lives, and flying saucers abduct housewives in Milwaukee”? If George W. Bush had tapped a dim bulb like Napolitano, people would have sneered that he was a “rube surrounded by more rubes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week