President Obama had better watch out, said Canada’s Calgary Herald in an editorial. The “vaulting ignorance” of his Homeland Security secretary, Janet Napolitano, could do serious harm to Canada, and strangle U.S.-Canada cross-border trade. Napolitano has said that the terrorist threat from the Canadian border is worse than that from the Mexican one, “as if there were any real similarities” between Mexico and Canada! Worse “rubbish,” she wrongly stated that 9/11 terrorists entered the U.S. from Canada. Does she also believe that “Elvis lives, and flying saucers abduct housewives in Milwaukee”? If George W. Bush had tapped a dim bulb like Napolitano, people would have sneered that he was a “rube surrounded by more rubes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week