President Obama had better watch out, said Canada’s Calgary Herald in an editorial. The “vaulting ignorance” of his Homeland Security secretary, Janet Napolitano, could do serious harm to Canada, and strangle U.S.-Canada cross-border trade. Napolitano has said that the terrorist threat from the Canadian border is worse than that from the Mexican one, “as if there were any real similarities” between Mexico and Canada! Worse “rubbish,” she wrongly stated that 9/11 terrorists entered the U.S. from Canada. Does she also believe that “Elvis lives, and flying saucers abduct housewives in Milwaukee”? If George W. Bush had tapped a dim bulb like Napolitano, people would have sneered that he was a “rube surrounded by more rubes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week