President Obama had better watch out, said Canada’s Calgary Herald in an editorial. The “vaulting ignorance” of his Homeland Security secretary, Janet Napolitano, could do serious harm to Canada, and strangle U.S.-Canada cross-border trade. Napolitano has said that the terrorist threat from the Canadian border is worse than that from the Mexican one, “as if there were any real similarities” between Mexico and Canada! Worse “rubbish,” she wrongly stated that 9/11 terrorists entered the U.S. from Canada. Does she also believe that “Elvis lives, and flying saucers abduct housewives in Milwaukee”? If George W. Bush had tapped a dim bulb like Napolitano, people would have sneered that he was a “rube surrounded by more rubes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week