“If at first you don't succeed,” said Celebuzz, “file, file again.” Academy Award–winning actor Sean Penn has filed for a legal separation from his wife, Robin Wright Penn, “marking the second time the two have taken legal steps toward divorce the last few years.” This news isn’t too surprising: Over the past few months, Sean Penn “is rumored to have cozied up to Lindsay Lohan and Natalie Portman.”
But Sean Penn and Robin Wright Penn tossed their divorce papers last year and seemed “intent upon reconciling,” said FoxNews.com, “even attending the Oscars together in February.” Then again, “Penn raised eyebrows when he did not thank his wife and the mother of his two children in his acceptance speech.”
Whatever the reason for the separation, said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times, “it's a sad note on this big year for” Sean Penn, who took home an Oscar for his lead role in Milk. Talk about going from a peak to a valley—this has to be tough.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What Pope John Paul II could have learned from Sinead O'Connor
- Why cutting the government doesn't make it more efficient
Subscribe to the Week