Miss California, Carrie Prejean, cites the Bible "every chance she gets" to explain why she's against gay marriage, said The Hollywood Gossip. So it's surprising to learn that she's so unhappy with "how God made her" that she had breast implants—paid for by the Miss California Organization—just six weeks before the Miss USA competition.
“The fact that Carrie Prejean got breast implants is not newsworthy,” said Feminsting.com, but the fact that the Miss California Organization paid for them is. “It shows that pageants aren't about highlighting women as they are or for their talents,” but only “to make spectacle of a specific type of femininity.”
“Let’s not be naïve,” said Jessica Wakeman in The Frisky. Breast implants “aren’t exactly taboo in pageant-land.” The line between what's real and what's fake gets blurry in a “pageant subculture where women hairspray their legs and wipe Vaseline on their teeth to look extra shiny.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week