iss California, Carrie Prejean, cites the Bible "every chance she gets" to explain why she's against gay marriage, said The Hollywood Gossip. So it's surprising to learn that she's so unhappy with "how God made her" that she had breast implants—paid for by the Miss California Organization—just six weeks before the Miss USA competition.
“The fact that Carrie Prejean got breast implants is not newsworthy,” said Feminsting.com, but the fact that the Miss California Organization paid for them is. “It shows that pageants aren't about highlighting women as they are or for their talents,” but only “to make spectacle of a specific type of femininity.”
“Let’s not be naïve,” said Jessica Wakeman in The Frisky. Breast implants “aren’t exactly taboo in pageant-land.” The line between what's real and what's fake gets blurry in a “pageant subculture where women hairspray their legs and wipe Vaseline on their teeth to look extra shiny.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week