Reducing the federal budget by 0.0029%
The $100 million President Obama has ordered cut from his $3.5 trillion budget represents a reduction of 0.0029 percent. If a family with an income of $100,000 cut a comparable amount from its budget, it would spend just $3 less over the course of a year.
The Christian Science Monitor
Fewer Americans are moving
Stung by falling housing prices and economic uncertainty, fewer Americans are moving, the U.S. Census Bureau reported. Some 35.2 million Americans changed residences from March 2007 to March 2008, the lowest number since 1962, when the nation had 120 million fewer people.
The New York Times
Most families allow media coverage of soldiers' caskets
In the weeks since the Pentagon ended an 18-year ban on media coverage of fallen soldiers returning to the U.S., 14 of 19 families have allowed reporters and photographers to witness the ceremony marking the arrival of their loved one’s casket. So far, families say they’re comfortable with the media coverage.
Plane and bird collisions on the rise
Airplane collisions with birds have more than doubled at 13 major U.S. airports since 2000, according to federal data released last week. Wildlife experts say large bird species such as Canada geese have been finding food near cities and airports year round, and are no longer migrating.
Climate change threatens Alaskan communities
Due to flooding and melting permafrost blamed on global warming, the coastal Eskimo village of Newtok, Alaska, has voted to relocate to new homes nine miles inland. Officials say Newtok is the first of scores of threatened Alaskan communities that could be abandoned because of climate change.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week