Reducing the federal budget by 0.0029%
The $100 million President Obama has ordered cut from his $3.5 trillion budget represents a reduction of 0.0029 percent. If a family with an income of $100,000 cut a comparable amount from its budget, it would spend just $3 less over the course of a year.
The Christian Science Monitor
Fewer Americans are moving
Stung by falling housing prices and economic uncertainty, fewer Americans are moving, the U.S. Census Bureau reported. Some 35.2 million Americans changed residences from March 2007 to March 2008, the lowest number since 1962, when the nation had 120 million fewer people.
The New York Times
Most families allow media coverage of soldiers' caskets
In the weeks since the Pentagon ended an 18-year ban on media coverage of fallen soldiers returning to the U.S., 14 of 19 families have allowed reporters and photographers to witness the ceremony marking the arrival of their loved one’s casket. So far, families say they’re comfortable with the media coverage.
Plane and bird collisions on the rise
Airplane collisions with birds have more than doubled at 13 major U.S. airports since 2000, according to federal data released last week. Wildlife experts say large bird species such as Canada geese have been finding food near cities and airports year round, and are no longer migrating.
Climate change threatens Alaskan communities
Due to flooding and melting permafrost blamed on global warming, the coastal Eskimo village of Newtok, Alaska, has voted to relocate to new homes nine miles inland. Officials say Newtok is the first of scores of threatened Alaskan communities that could be abandoned because of climate change.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week