Reducing the federal budget by 0.0029%
The $100 million President Obama has ordered cut from his $3.5 trillion budget represents a reduction of 0.0029 percent. If a family with an income of $100,000 cut a comparable amount from its budget, it would spend just $3 less over the course of a year.
The Christian Science Monitor
Fewer Americans are moving
Stung by falling housing prices and economic uncertainty, fewer Americans are moving, the U.S. Census Bureau reported. Some 35.2 million Americans changed residences from March 2007 to March 2008, the lowest number since 1962, when the nation had 120 million fewer people.
The New York Times
Most families allow media coverage of soldiers' caskets
In the weeks since the Pentagon ended an 18-year ban on media coverage of fallen soldiers returning to the U.S., 14 of 19 families have allowed reporters and photographers to witness the ceremony marking the arrival of their loved one’s casket. So far, families say they’re comfortable with the media coverage.
Plane and bird collisions on the rise
Airplane collisions with birds have more than doubled at 13 major U.S. airports since 2000, according to federal data released last week. Wildlife experts say large bird species such as Canada geese have been finding food near cities and airports year round, and are no longer migrating.
Climate change threatens Alaskan communities
Due to flooding and melting permafrost blamed on global warming, the coastal Eskimo village of Newtok, Alaska, has voted to relocate to new homes nine miles inland. Officials say Newtok is the first of scores of threatened Alaskan communities that could be abandoned because of climate change.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
Subscribe to the Week