51% of Americans favor an investigation into the Bush administration’s use of harsh interrogation techniques on terrorism suspects, while 42% are opposed. But 55% believe that in retrospect, the use of the harsh tactics was justified, while 36% say it was not.
42% of Americans now say same-sex couples should be allowed to legally marry, up nine points from just a month ago.
The New York Times/CBS News
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- The week's best photojournalism
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week