Results: Far out, man! In light of California’s decision to legalize medical marijuana stores—and the fact that applications are pouring in and thousands have already opened—we asked you to predict the name of the first cannabis chain store. You blew in with: Weed-Mart (of course). Dealer Joe’s. Home dePot. And, alternatively, Office dePot. And lots of variations—lots—on Tokes R Us. While we got a huge and unprecedented response to this contest, it is still only the first person to send in an entry who gets the credit. But to us, you are all high. High on our list, that is.
FIRST PRIZE: Bud, Bong & Beyond
Kurt S. Johnson, Johnsburg, IL (and many others)
SECOND PRIZE: Jiffy Doob
Pearl Basehore, Lakeside, CA
THIRD PRIZE: Chong E. Cheech’s
Bill Muse, Seattle
Michael Alman, Las Vegas, NV (and others)
Jill Kempner, Toms River, NJ
Riley Applewhite, Atherton, CA (and others)
Sylvia Beardsley, Wadsworth, IL (and others)
Stoned R Us
Barbara Anderson, Hale's Location, NH
Hemp R Whatever
Ted Leach, Hancock, NH
The Pottery Bong
Shawn Cruze, Cleves, OH
The Grass Menagerie
Helen Drake, Larkspur, CA (and others)
Roy Batchelor, St. Louis, MO
Kasumi, Cleveland, OH
Barbara J. De Fries, Seattle, WA (and others)
Kathleen Quinlan, Madison, WI
The Hash Stash
Rocco Blasi, Green Mountain Falls, CO (and others)
Deb Drum, Lake Worth, FL
Kenneth Stein, Teaneck, NJ (and others—it’s a local New York joke)
Alice B. Toke-mores
John Cross, Tiburon, CA
Peggy Houghtaling, Kennett Square, PA
Doobie or Not Doobie
David Pepper, Malibu, CA
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Illegal!
Patsy Munden, Savannah, GA
Kelly Taylor, Oklahoma City, OK
Allyson Lomax, St. Paul, MN
James Lister Smith, Mill Valley, CA (and others)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week