OOD DAY FOR: Going green, after the Southern California town of Perris hired a company to paint dead lawns green for its more than 1,100 foreclosed homes. The town decided that hiring David Milligan’s grass-painting outfit was a more cost-effective way to spruce up the for-sale homes than watering the lawns. “Get it green, get it sold, and move on,” said Perris Mayor Mark Yarbrough. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: The Cayman Islands, as President Obama is unveiling new rules to crack down on it tax havens. The Cayman Islands is one of several coutries that U.S.-based companies were planning to stash money in to save $190 billion over the next decade. The proposed changes are “bad stuff,” said Kenneth Kies, a tax lobbyist who works for many of those companies. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week