ormer New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani last week skipped the wedding ceremony of his ex-roommates, two gay men who put him up at their home during his divorce in 2001. “I danced at his wedding with [his wife] Judith [Nathan], and it would have been nice if he’d danced at mine, ” said Howard Koeppel, who married Mark Hsiao in Connecticut. Giuliani, who is reportedly considering running for New York governor, recently denounced a proposal to legalize gay marriage in that state. “He’s a Republican,’’ said Koeppel, “and he’s taking a Republican stand.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week