Officials at the Miss California pageant acknowledged last week that they’d arranged for titleholder Carrie Prejean to get breast implants before her controversial appearance at the Miss USA pageant last month. Prejean, a rising star in conservative circles after her denunciation of gay marriage at the Miss USA pageant, did not have to pay for the implants. Pageant co-director Keith Lewis said the surgery was offered “to put her in the best possible confidence.” Prejean’s standing fell further this week when partially nude modeling photos of her surfaced on the Internet.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week