The Vatican tried to block the new Da Vinci Code sequel, Angels & Demons, from filming in Italy, said Ron Howard, the film’s director. Howard said he met resistance in trying to shoot several scenes near Catholic churches, and “it was explained to us that through back channels that the Vatican had exerted some influence.” The church, which denounced Da Vinci as false and defamatory, said Howard was simply trying to drum up publicity for the new film.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- Why I got married — without a wedding
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How to improve your workplace culture
- Why the Rubio-Lee tax plan is great politics — and great policy
Subscribe to the Week