The Vatican tried to block the new Da Vinci Code sequel, Angels & Demons, from filming in Italy, said Ron Howard, the film’s director. Howard said he met resistance in trying to shoot several scenes near Catholic churches, and “it was explained to us that through back channels that the Vatican had exerted some influence.” The church, which denounced Da Vinci as false and defamatory, said Howard was simply trying to drum up publicity for the new film.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
Subscribe to the Week