The Vatican tried to block the new Da Vinci Code sequel, Angels & Demons, from filming in Italy, said Ron Howard, the film’s director. Howard said he met resistance in trying to shoot several scenes near Catholic churches, and “it was explained to us that through back channels that the Vatican had exerted some influence.” The church, which denounced Da Vinci as false and defamatory, said Howard was simply trying to drum up publicity for the new film.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week