The Vatican tried to block the new Da Vinci Code sequel, Angels & Demons, from filming in Italy, said Ron Howard, the film’s director. Howard said he met resistance in trying to shoot several scenes near Catholic churches, and “it was explained to us that through back channels that the Vatican had exerted some influence.” The church, which denounced Da Vinci as false and defamatory, said Howard was simply trying to drum up publicity for the new film.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week