“Ever since Buck Rogers” first strapped on a jetpack in the comics, gravity-bound dreamers have longed for a backpack rocket. The Thunderbolt R2G2 promises to fulfill such dreams. “The question is whether any normal person”—or at least any sane one—would dare to fly this apparatus. “The packs can be dangerous for self-taught pilots,” and even the well-trained ones who have flown the prototype tend to remain tethered. The pack’s maker so far has obtained four deposits, but needs more to complete production.
Price: At least $90,000; Contact: Thunderman.net
Source: The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week