“Ever since Buck Rogers” first strapped on a jetpack in the comics, gravity-bound dreamers have longed for a backpack rocket. The Thunderbolt R2G2 promises to fulfill such dreams. “The question is whether any normal person”—or at least any sane one—would dare to fly this apparatus. “The packs can be dangerous for self-taught pilots,” and even the well-trained ones who have flown the prototype tend to remain tethered. The pack’s maker so far has obtained four deposits, but needs more to complete production.
Price: At least $90,000; Contact: Thunderman.net
Source: The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week