“Ever since Buck Rogers” first strapped on a jetpack in the comics, gravity-bound dreamers have longed for a backpack rocket. The Thunderbolt R2G2 promises to fulfill such dreams. “The question is whether any normal person”—or at least any sane one—would dare to fly this apparatus. “The packs can be dangerous for self-taught pilots,” and even the well-trained ones who have flown the prototype tend to remain tethered. The pack’s maker so far has obtained four deposits, but needs more to complete production.
Price: At least $90,000; Contact: Thunderman.net
Source: The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The next pandemic
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week