ood day for: Optimism, as News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch said the advertising downturn had reached bottom. Murdoch, whose company owns The Wall Street Journal, Fox News, and many other major media properties. “The worst is over,” Murdoch told analysts in a conference call. “The days of precipitous declines are done.” (The Wall Street Journal)
Bad day for: Being late to dinner, as KFC restaurants reported long lines -- with some outlets reportedly running out of chicken -- as people used coupons good for a free KFC meal offered for one day on the website of Oprah Winfrey’s TV show. A writer on Gothamist, a New York City blog, wrote that at one Manhattan outlet a manager told coupon holders the restaurant was out of chicken, and diners staged a sit-in because they insisted there was still chicken behind the counter. “There were 911 calls.” (ABC News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- America: Don't lose your cool over Russia's Crimean adventure
Subscribe to the Week