ood day for: Optimism, as News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch said the advertising downturn had reached bottom. Murdoch, whose company owns The Wall Street Journal, Fox News, and many other major media properties. “The worst is over,” Murdoch told analysts in a conference call. “The days of precipitous declines are done.” (The Wall Street Journal)
Bad day for: Being late to dinner, as KFC restaurants reported long lines -- with some outlets reportedly running out of chicken -- as people used coupons good for a free KFC meal offered for one day on the website of Oprah Winfrey’s TV show. A writer on Gothamist, a New York City blog, wrote that at one Manhattan outlet a manager told coupon holders the restaurant was out of chicken, and diners staged a sit-in because they insisted there was still chicken behind the counter. “There were 911 calls.” (ABC News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week