Good week for:
Saudi Arabian children, after that nation’s embarrassed government said it would consider banning marriage for girls under 18. The possible policy change follows an international outcry over news that an 8-year-old Saudi girl had been married to, and granted a divorce from, a man in his 50s.
Stereotypes, after a survey found that the French spend more time sleeping and eating than do people in any other developed nation. The average Frenchman sleeps nine hours a day, and whiles away two hours a day over his meals.
Alpo, after researchers presented volunteers with five types of mashed-up food, including paté, duck liver mousse, and dog food, and found that only three out of 18 were able to correctly distinguish the dog food from the paté, the mousse, and the liverwurst.
Bad week for:
The only pig in Afghanistan, which has been moved from its pen at the Kabul Zoo into a locked room out of fear of swine flu.
Blaming the neighbors, after an 82-year-old German man called police to complain that someone was playing the same song over and over again at all hours of the day and night. Officers found that the man had a musical greeting card on his windowsill, where occasional breezes opened it just enough to trigger the irritating tune.
Riding under the influence, when a man in a cowboy hat riding his horse through a Denver suburb was pulled over and charged with being drunk. Police said deciding what to do with the horse was “a tricky call.” In drunken-driving cases, they said, “you can tow a car.” A stable owner wound up giving the horse—and its rider—a lift home.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we eat what we eat on Thanksgiving
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week