GOOD DAY FOR: Sending it electronically, as U.S. first-class postage rates are going up Monday, to 44 cents, from 42 cents. Parcel and large-evenlope rates are rising by 5 cents. This is the third consecutive May postal-rate hike, under recently enacted changes that allow for yearly rate increases. The U.S. Postal Service lost $2.8 billion last year. (AP in The Dallas Morning News)
BAD DAY FOR: A visit from Jamie Oliver, as the British celebrity chef and Ryan Seacrest are teaming up for an ABC reality show to put some of America’s “fattest cities” on a diet. Oliver did a similar program in Britain that led to a reform of school lunch programs. “Jamie has been through this mission before,” said ABC executive Vicki Dummer. “He will be an advocate for change, but not act like, ‘I’m from Britain and you Americans are fat.’ I think he’s really equipped to make a change and knock on the right doors.” (Hollywood Reporter, via Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week