GOOD DAY FOR: Sending it electronically, as U.S. first-class postage rates are going up Monday, to 44 cents, from 42 cents. Parcel and large-evenlope rates are rising by 5 cents. This is the third consecutive May postal-rate hike, under recently enacted changes that allow for yearly rate increases. The U.S. Postal Service lost $2.8 billion last year. (AP in The Dallas Morning News)
BAD DAY FOR: A visit from Jamie Oliver, as the British celebrity chef and Ryan Seacrest are teaming up for an ABC reality show to put some of America’s “fattest cities” on a diet. Oliver did a similar program in Britain that led to a reform of school lunch programs. “Jamie has been through this mission before,” said ABC executive Vicki Dummer. “He will be an advocate for change, but not act like, ‘I’m from Britain and you Americans are fat.’ I think he’s really equipped to make a change and knock on the right doors.” (Hollywood Reporter, via Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- California's epic drought
- The girl who wouldn't die
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week