“Move over, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin,” said Ken Tucker in Entertainment Weekly, “Justin Timberlake has joined the ranks of repeat-hosts who always lift Saturday Night Live to a higher level of quality.” During his most recent gig as host, Timberlake’s “energy and good nature seemed boundless,” and he and Adam Samberg’s digital short “Mother Lover” (watch the video)—a sequel to their viral hit “D--- in A Box” (watch the video)—was hilarious.
There’s no question that Justin Timberlake is “developing into one of Saturday Night Live's all-time great hosts,” said Melinda Newman in Hitfix. And “I'm still laughing over the ‘Mother Lover’ short.” But let’s pray that Timberlake and Samberg don’t “make the fatal flaw of the Coneheads, the Roxbury dancing fools,” and “other vintage SNL characters" by extending "these two nameless smoothies into a feature-length movie.”
If Justin Timberlake’s music career took a turn for the worse, said Annie Wu in AOL’s TV Squad, he “could definitely fall back on being a professional SNL host.” But to be honest, “some sketches fell a bit flat” on Saturday, and “Timberlake is such a ham” that his performances really ride the line between “great/terrible.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week