Shanna Moakler changed her mind fast, said K.C. Baker in People. Moakler, a former Miss USA, resigned as co-director of the Miss California USA pageant a day after saying she would support pageant owner Donald Trump's decision to let Carrie Prejean keep her Miss California crown. "I cannot with a clear conscience move forward supporting and promoting the Miss Universe Organization when I no longer believe in it," Moakler said.
Granted, it was "hardly a sign of class" for Prejean to pose topless, said Marc Moore in PoliGazette, and Moakler is probably correct in saying that Prejean fibbed in her contract by saying there were no racy pictures of her out there. But Moakler should have kept her "cushy gig" and—like Trump—forgiven Prejean her sins, out of respect for the courage she displayed by standing up for her beliefs about traditional marriage.
Moakler was in a difficult spot, said Gina Serpe in E! A day before Trump stood up for Prejean, Moakler had said Prejean didn't deserve the Miss California crown. In fact, Moakler had denounced Prejean for failing to live up to her contract, and installed runner-up Tami Farrell as "the new ambassador and de facto face of the Miss California organization." Plus, Moakler is "an outspoken advocate for same-sex marriage," although she said her political differences with Prejean weren't a factor.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week