The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Criterion’s two-disc edition “creates an even deeper appreciation for one of the best movies Hollywood has produced in decades,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Director David Fincher brought “an astonishing eye for detail” to his adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s tale of a man who ages backward.
(Warner Home Collections, $27.95)
To celebrate its 15th anniversary, Turner Classic Movies is offering “some of the greatest films of all time,” said the Chicago Daily Herald. This collection includes four of the finest MGM musicals: Singin’ in the Rain, Easter Parade, The Band Wagon, and Meet Me in St. Louis.
Gavin & Stacey: Season One
(BBC Warner, $24.98)
Enjoy this “delightful Britcom” before American networks craft a rip-off, said the Chicago Tribune. The BBC series about a couple in a long-distance courtship is “smart, sweet, funny, and distinctively performed.” ABC plans an Americanized version, but this formula may be “all but impossible” to replicate.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week