The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Criterion’s two-disc edition “creates an even deeper appreciation for one of the best movies Hollywood has produced in decades,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Director David Fincher brought “an astonishing eye for detail” to his adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s tale of a man who ages backward.
(Warner Home Collections, $27.95)
To celebrate its 15th anniversary, Turner Classic Movies is offering “some of the greatest films of all time,” said the Chicago Daily Herald. This collection includes four of the finest MGM musicals: Singin’ in the Rain, Easter Parade, The Band Wagon, and Meet Me in St. Louis.
Gavin & Stacey: Season One
(BBC Warner, $24.98)
Enjoy this “delightful Britcom” before American networks craft a rip-off, said the Chicago Tribune. The BBC series about a couple in a long-distance courtship is “smart, sweet, funny, and distinctively performed.” ABC plans an Americanized version, but this formula may be “all but impossible” to replicate.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
Subscribe to the Week