“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
Kurt Vonnegut, quoted in TheBookreporter.com
“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.”
Bill Cosby, quoted in the Asheville, N.C., Citizen-Times
“The terrible thing about the quest for truth is that you find it.”
French poet Rémy de Gourmont, quoted in the London Independent
“The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing.”
J.B. Colbert, finance minister to Louis XIV, quoted in The Economist
“History would be an excellent thing if only it were true.”
Leo Tolstoy, quoted in The Washington Post
“You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.”
Woodrow Wilson, quoted in the Melbourne Herald Sun
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week