“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
Kurt Vonnegut, quoted in TheBookreporter.com
“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.”
Bill Cosby, quoted in the Asheville, N.C., Citizen-Times
“The terrible thing about the quest for truth is that you find it.”
French poet Rémy de Gourmont, quoted in the London Independent
“The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing.”
J.B. Colbert, finance minister to Louis XIV, quoted in The Economist
“History would be an excellent thing if only it were true.”
Leo Tolstoy, quoted in The Washington Post
“You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.”
Woodrow Wilson, quoted in the Melbourne Herald Sun
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Painting the universe's portrait
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week