“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
Kurt Vonnegut, quoted in TheBookreporter.com
“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.”
Bill Cosby, quoted in the Asheville, N.C., Citizen-Times
“The terrible thing about the quest for truth is that you find it.”
French poet Rémy de Gourmont, quoted in the London Independent
“The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing.”
J.B. Colbert, finance minister to Louis XIV, quoted in The Economist
“History would be an excellent thing if only it were true.”
Leo Tolstoy, quoted in The Washington Post
“You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.”
Woodrow Wilson, quoted in the Melbourne Herald Sun
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The last racial taboo
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 11, 2013
Subscribe to the Week