Keith Olbermann is taking his misogyny to a new level, said Don Surber in the Charleston, W.V., Daily Mail. The MSNBC host's vicious attack on Miss California USA Carrie Prejean—which included seven minutes of judgmental "yakking about Prejean's breast implants"—was so over-the-top that it set off an epidemic of "liberal cannibalism," with Olbermann's fellow lefties expressing disgust in their blogs.
Olbermann so thoroughly demolished Prejean with his rant, said Gawker (includes a video clip of Olbermann's segment on Prejean), that it was hard not to feel a "twinge of sympathy" for her, even among those who disagree with her opposition to gay marriage. After all, she's just like anybody else who, at 21, doesn't know any better because they grew up surrounded by "ignorance and intolerance for gays."
Before you start feeling too sorry for Carrie Prejean, said Paul Bedard in U.S. News & World Report, remember that the conservative darling also has friends in the cable news business. Prejean is scheduled to be a guest host on Fox News Channel's popular morning show, Fox & Friends, on May 27. "Fox & Friends has used news celebs before, and some have gone on to bigger and better things."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
Subscribe to the Week