Keith Olbermann is taking his misogyny to a new level, said Don Surber in the Charleston, W.V., Daily Mail. The MSNBC host's vicious attack on Miss California USA Carrie Prejean—which included seven minutes of judgmental "yakking about Prejean's breast implants"—was so over-the-top that it set off an epidemic of "liberal cannibalism," with Olbermann's fellow lefties expressing disgust in their blogs.
Olbermann so thoroughly demolished Prejean with his rant, said Gawker (includes a video clip of Olbermann's segment on Prejean), that it was hard not to feel a "twinge of sympathy" for her, even among those who disagree with her opposition to gay marriage. After all, she's just like anybody else who, at 21, doesn't know any better because they grew up surrounded by "ignorance and intolerance for gays."
Before you start feeling too sorry for Carrie Prejean, said Paul Bedard in U.S. News & World Report, remember that the conservative darling also has friends in the cable news business. Prejean is scheduled to be a guest host on Fox News Channel's popular morning show, Fox & Friends, on May 27. "Fox & Friends has used news celebs before, and some have gone on to bigger and better things."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Stop hating on cyclists
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week