eith Olbermann is taking his misogyny to a new level, said Don Surber in the Charleston, W.V., Daily Mail. The MSNBC host's vicious attack on Miss California USA Carrie Prejean—which included seven minutes of judgmental "yakking about Prejean's breast implants"—was so over-the-top that it set off an epidemic of "liberal cannibalism," with Olbermann's fellow lefties expressing disgust in their blogs.
Olbermann so thoroughly demolished Prejean with his rant, said Gawker (includes a video clip of Olbermann's segment on Prejean), that it was hard not to feel a "twinge of sympathy" for her, even among those who disagree with her opposition to gay marriage. After all, she's just like anybody else who, at 21, doesn't know any better because they grew up surrounded by "ignorance and intolerance for gays."
Before you start feeling too sorry for Carrie Prejean, said Paul Bedard in U.S. News & World Report, remember that the conservative darling also has friends in the cable news business. Prejean is scheduled to be a guest host on Fox News Channel's popular morning show, Fox & Friends, on May 27. "Fox & Friends has used news celebs before, and some have gone on to bigger and better things."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week