Muslims mustn’t be fooled by the “beautiful words” of America’s new president, said Mostapha Mohammad in Egypt’s Amal Al Ummah (via WorldMeets.us). Barack Obama is coming to Egypt to make another attempt to convince the Islamic world that under his leadership the U.S. is no longer the “arrogant, stupid, selfish” nation it was under George W. Bush. But Obama is really just trying to sell himself to an American audience. His words “will bring no real benefit to the people he addresses.” He won’t apologize for the “barbaric destruction of Iraq.” He won’t stop “dropping bombs on Pakistan.” You see, America is still the same monster it was before. That “is why the hatred of Arab and Muslim people is rising every day.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The week's best photojournalism
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Black Death
Subscribe to the Week