President Obama named Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. (R) as his ambassador to China, said Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic, which “can only be called a genius move” by Obama, and a “terrible blow to the GOP.” A “pro-civil union Mormon who gets the problem of climate change,” Huntsman is “the un-Cheney.” So, in one stroke, Obama has "co-opted” one of the GOP’s rising moderates and rid himself of a potential political rival.
I’m not sure that “Obama co-opted Huntsman,” said Dennis Sanders in The Moderate Voice. It’s just as likely that Huntsman saw no viable path to national office as a Republican, with the “Limbaugh wing of the party” calling the shots. Huntsman probably decided that “dealing with the Chinese is far easier than dealing with Sean Hannity.”
It’s also possible that Huntsman is “waiting until 2016” for a run at the presidency, said Reihan Salam in Forbes.com, calculating that the GOP “tea-partyism will die down” by then. Burnishing his foreign policy credentials in a job once held by former president George H.W. Bush can’t hurt his chances with his foreign policy–centric party, either.
Actually, China was “the one offer he couldn’t refuse,” said Rebecca Walsh in The Salt Lake Tribune. Huntsman—who speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese, has an adopted Chinese daughter, and is respected and admired by the Chinese—clearly “left his heart in China.” So yes, Obama disarms a 2012 competitor, but “Huntsman will be returning home.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
Subscribe to the Week