ormer Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura (I) “has found his talking points,” said Emily Kaiser in the Minneapolis City Pages. Following a similar appearance on “Larry King Live,” Ventura went on ABC’s “The View,” where he had a heated debate about torture and waterboarding with “token-Republican” Elizabeth Hasselbeck. “Let’s just say Ventura destroyed Hasselbeck on her own show.” (watch Ventura and Hasselbeck argue it out)
The normally “brash, straight-talking” Ventura made some good points, said Rebecca Cole in the Chicago Tribune’s The Swamp, but he also “dodged a direct answer to Hasselbeck’s question” about what House Speaker Nancy Pelosi knew about waterboarding, and when.
In all, the Hasslebeck-Ventura debate was “good-natured and lively,” said Sam Stein in The Huffington Post. It also reinforced a “peculiar aspect” of the waterboarding debate: Those, like Ventura, who’ve experienced the technique “insist it is ineffective at best and torture at worst,” while Hasselbeck and others who haven’t say it works in “thwarting terrorist attacks.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week