OOD DAY FOR: Targeting “Gunsmoke,” as NBC is reportedly renewing “Law & Order” for a 20th season. That would would make the program tied with the 1955-75 Western “Gunsmoke” as the longest-running prime time drama. (AP in BusinessWeek)
BAD DAY FOR: Rest and relaxation, as travel agents say that across the U.S., people are deciding against taking summer vacations out of fear that their job will disappear while they’re on the beach. “There is definitely a panic factor for even those who are secure in their jobs and income,” said Cook American Express travel president Blake Fleetwood. “In the back of their minds, there is the nagging little voice saying ‘Am I next? How can I spend this much time or money on a vacation?’” (The Washington Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What liberals get wrong about having kids
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week