OOD DAY FOR: Targeting “Gunsmoke,” as NBC is reportedly renewing “Law & Order” for a 20th season. That would would make the program tied with the 1955-75 Western “Gunsmoke” as the longest-running prime time drama. (AP in BusinessWeek)
BAD DAY FOR: Rest and relaxation, as travel agents say that across the U.S., people are deciding against taking summer vacations out of fear that their job will disappear while they’re on the beach. “There is definitely a panic factor for even those who are secure in their jobs and income,” said Cook American Express travel president Blake Fleetwood. “In the back of their minds, there is the nagging little voice saying ‘Am I next? How can I spend this much time or money on a vacation?’” (The Washington Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week