“It’s not easy being beautiful,” said FoxNews.com. “Just ask Jessica Biel, who despite her stunning looks, perfect figure, and hot boyfriend, says Hollywood discriminates.” In an interview for the upcoming issue of Allure, Biel “says that being too good-looking can be a problem for an actress,” and that she’s trying to get serious dramatic roles like the ones fellow beauties Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman get.
“Poor Jessica Biel is complaining in yet another magazine interview about how her good looks are such a burden,” said Lisa Timmons in Celebuzz, and whining “that she doesn't get the same opportunities as Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman.” Please. As if Biel’s life is “fraught with constant worry.” Go ahead, “keep fighting the good fight for pretty people everywhere,” Jessica, you’re like a modern-day Rosa Parks.
Look, Jessica Biel just wants “meatier, more dramatic roles,” said People, the kind that have gone to her peers Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. And for a while, Biel “demanded a no-nudity clause in her contracts.” There's nothing wrong with Biel's wanting to be taken seriously for her talent, and not just her looks.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week