Forget, for a moment, the suspense-filled final “American Idol” showdown between Adam Lambert and Kris Allen, said Gina Serpe in E!. “A scarier showdown took place after the taping” of the reality show’s final performances of the season, when a woman named Janice Thibodeaux, 33, allegedly tried (unsuccessfully) to choke Extra correspondent Terri Seymour, the former girlfriend of notoriously cranky “Idol” judge Simon Cowell.
It just goes to show, said Zap 2 It, “you're never safe from the influence of Simon Cowell, even if you're his ex-girlfriend.” The 200-pound Thibodeaux is reportedly a “crazed fan” of Cowell, and she allegedly pounced on Seymour after asking if she used to date the music mogul. But why? Maybe Thibodeaux is crazy about Cowell, or maybe his mean comments to “Idol” contestants pushed her over the edge.
“Cowell is notorious for offering the show's most negative critique," said Rolling Stone, "and many audition episodes have shown contestants attempting to hit or throw drinks on him." But this is the first time that being associated with Cowell "has lead to physical violence."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- How the euro can still unseat the dollar as the world's dominant currency
Subscribe to the Week