Forget, for a moment, the suspense-filled final “American Idol” showdown between Adam Lambert and Kris Allen, said Gina Serpe in E!. “A scarier showdown took place after the taping” of the reality show’s final performances of the season, when a woman named Janice Thibodeaux, 33, allegedly tried (unsuccessfully) to choke Extra correspondent Terri Seymour, the former girlfriend of notoriously cranky “Idol” judge Simon Cowell.
It just goes to show, said Zap 2 It, “you're never safe from the influence of Simon Cowell, even if you're his ex-girlfriend.” The 200-pound Thibodeaux is reportedly a “crazed fan” of Cowell, and she allegedly pounced on Seymour after asking if she used to date the music mogul. But why? Maybe Thibodeaux is crazy about Cowell, or maybe his mean comments to “Idol” contestants pushed her over the edge.
“Cowell is notorious for offering the show's most negative critique," said Rolling Stone, "and many audition episodes have shown contestants attempting to hit or throw drinks on him." But this is the first time that being associated with Cowell "has lead to physical violence."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week