Talk about blunt, said Radar Online. Kate Gosselin gave her husband, Jon, “a contract saying he could date others as long as he showed up for filming of their hit reality show, Jon & Kate Plus 8,” according to Kate Gosselin’s brother and sister-in-law Kevin and Jodi Kreider. It's no secret the couple has “ignored their marital problems to keep the show's ratings high,” but even Jon was "taken aback" by how matter-of-factly Kate essentially terminated their relationship.
“This sounds outrageous to me,” said I’m Not Obsessed. Kate Gosselin did say recently that their “show is all they have—both Kate and Jon quit their jobs to film the show and be with their children full time.” And "large sums of money" can make people do crazy things. Still, “why in the world would Kate's brother and sister-in-law be talking publicly” about this?
Jodi Kreider says she did it to protect Jon and Kate’s children, of course, said Megan Gall in Examiner.com. She says she's trying to urge authorities to look into the situation, and to pass laws to protect kids in reality TV shows. But it's hard to see how “broadcasting” the Gosselin’s “dirty laundry” is really “going to better the family's current situation.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 27, 2014
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
Subscribe to the Week