(MGM Home Entertainment, $17.98)
Even if you can quibble with the history, Valkyrie makes for “gripping” viewing, said The Washington Times. Bryan Singer’s “retelling of Col. Claus von Stauffenberg’s failed attempt” to end Adolf Hitler’s life,” starring Tom Cruise, dramatizes the German high command’s efforts to stamp out the ruthless tyrant.
The Lost Collection: The Best Movies You Totally Forgot About
Though better movies came out of the ’80s, this collection “offers a kind of instant comfort,” said the Los Angeles Times. The eight-title set ranges from “mediocre” (Irreconcilable Differences) to outright bad” (Homer & Eddie), but most will be “remembered fondly.”
Seth MacFarlane’s Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy
(20th Century Fox, $22.97)
Fans of Family Guy will want to add this to their DVD collection, said the New York Daily News. The show’s co-creator Seth MacFarlane puts together 50 unrated and unbelievably raunchy animated shorts from his new Web-based series of pop-culture parodies.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week