(MGM Home Entertainment, $17.98)
Even if you can quibble with the history, Valkyrie makes for “gripping” viewing, said The Washington Times. Bryan Singer’s “retelling of Col. Claus von Stauffenberg’s failed attempt” to end Adolf Hitler’s life,” starring Tom Cruise, dramatizes the German high command’s efforts to stamp out the ruthless tyrant.
The Lost Collection: The Best Movies You Totally Forgot About
Though better movies came out of the ’80s, this collection “offers a kind of instant comfort,” said the Los Angeles Times. The eight-title set ranges from “mediocre” (Irreconcilable Differences) to outright bad” (Homer & Eddie), but most will be “remembered fondly.”
Seth MacFarlane’s Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy
(20th Century Fox, $22.97)
Fans of Family Guy will want to add this to their DVD collection, said the New York Daily News. The show’s co-creator Seth MacFarlane puts together 50 unrated and unbelievably raunchy animated shorts from his new Web-based series of pop-culture parodies.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week