“That Miss California crown may be still firmly affixed to her head,” said Sheila Marikar in ABCNews.com, “but controversy won’t stop swirling around Carrie Prejean and her family.” Now Valerie Vetrano, an openly gay woman from Corona, Calif., “claims she had a lesbian relationship with Prejean's mom, Francine Coppola.” Here we go again.
This seems pretty hard to believe, said Hollywood Grind. “We want to hear from Francine”—until we do, we’re not going to take this latest rumor too seriously. Then again, “during their divorce, both Francine and her ex-husband accused each other of having gay relationships during their marriage,” so who knows at this point.
We don’t usually “believe much of what we hear surrounding Carrie Prejean,” said Women on the Web, “but this latest gossip has us wondering if the controversial Miss California’s mother is a closeted lesbian.” According to Valerie Vetrano, Francine Coppola kept their affair a secret because she knew her Christian family would never understand. Given Carrie Prejean’s feelings about gay marriage, Vetrano “may be onto something there.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week