Pig roots up World War I bomb
A pig on a British farm accidentally dug up an unexploded shell from World War I—but no one was hurt. Cameron Naughton, who owns the farm in the village of Bishops Cannings, was with his colleague, John Russ, at the time. “We were attending the pigs when John noticed the mortar one of the pigs had rooted up. He said, ‘I think you’ve got a bomb here, Cameron’ and we called the police immediately.” The bomb squad exploded it without incident. “I am just glad that a tractor or a plow didn’t drive over it,” said Naughton.
Chasing Rachel Alexandra at the Preakness
Rachel Alexandra has become the first filly since 1924 to win the Preakness, and only the fifth to do so in the history of the 136-year-old race. The 3-year-old almost didn’t make it; her owners had to pay $100,000 to get her a late entry slot. But though she stumbled slightly at the start, the 9-to-5 favorite with the striking white blaze covered the 13/16-mile course in 1:55:08. “Gender doesn’t matter,” said Jess Jackson, one of her owners. “A thoroughbred wants to run! If a filly is as good as the colts, she ought to compete. That was my position, and that’s why we came.”
Surfer saves kangaroo caught in riptide
Neil McCallum was walking on a beach in Queensland, Australia, last week when a kangaroo hopped past him and started swimming in the ocean. Soon, the animal was caught in a dangerous riptide and found itself being quickly pulled out to sea. Knowing that hammerhead sharks were in the area, McCallum ran back to his house, grabbed his surfboard, paddled out, and herded the kangaroo to a nearby sandbar. After resting for a while, the exhausted kangaroo bounded away. “But not before he looked back at me,” recalled McCallum, “as if to say, ‘Thanks for that, mate.’”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week