More adults living with parents
Eleven percent of the U.S. population between ages 35 and 44—traditionally years in which wage-earners come into their own—is now living with parents or in-laws, according to a survey by AARP.
The New York Times
Co-pilot in Buffalo crash earned about $16,000 a year
The co-pilot of the regional air carrier Colgan Air that crashed in Buffalo in February was making about $16,000 a year. An average truck driver makes $40,660 a year and a city bus driver, $31,720.
The Buffalo News
Fewer people emigrated from Mexico in 2008
About 226,000 fewer people emigrated from Mexico to other countries last year, a 25 percent decline over the previous year. Officials say many Mexicans are deciding to delay illegal crossings into the U.S. because of the lack of jobs in the ailing U.S. economy.
The New York Times
Minorities comprise 34 percent of the U.S. population
Since 2000, 56 additional U.S. counties have become majority-minority—meaning more than half of the residents are nonwhite. Minorities now account for 34 percent of the U.S. population and 47 percent of children under the age of 5.
Megacities in India overwhelm municipal services
India now has 41 cities with more than 1 million people. The rapid growth of these megacities is overwhelming municipal services, leaving many with mounds of rotting trash, sewage flowing directly into polluted rivers, and middle-class neighborhoods encircled by slums.
The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
Subscribe to the Week