More adults living with parents
Eleven percent of the U.S. population between ages 35 and 44—traditionally years in which wage-earners come into their own—is now living with parents or in-laws, according to a survey by AARP.
The New York Times
Co-pilot in Buffalo crash earned about $16,000 a year
The co-pilot of the regional air carrier Colgan Air that crashed in Buffalo in February was making about $16,000 a year. An average truck driver makes $40,660 a year and a city bus driver, $31,720.
The Buffalo News
Fewer people emigrated from Mexico in 2008
About 226,000 fewer people emigrated from Mexico to other countries last year, a 25 percent decline over the previous year. Officials say many Mexicans are deciding to delay illegal crossings into the U.S. because of the lack of jobs in the ailing U.S. economy.
The New York Times
Minorities comprise 34 percent of the U.S. population
Since 2000, 56 additional U.S. counties have become majority-minority—meaning more than half of the residents are nonwhite. Minorities now account for 34 percent of the U.S. population and 47 percent of children under the age of 5.
Megacities in India overwhelm municipal services
India now has 41 cities with more than 1 million people. The rapid growth of these megacities is overwhelming municipal services, leaving many with mounds of rotting trash, sewage flowing directly into polluted rivers, and middle-class neighborhoods encircled by slums.
The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week