That was quick, said gossip blog X17. Mel Gibson has confirmed a rumor that has swirled for weeks—he’s expecting a child with girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. Gibson, who has seven children with soon-to-be-ex-wife Robyn, shared the news with Jay Leno during a taping of The Tonight Show, saying, “I guess I’m Octo-Mel.”
Gibson may be laughing now, said Bill Zwecker in the Chicago Sun-Times, but his predicament is going to cost him plenty. Robyn Gibson is expected to win half of the movie star’s $750 million fortune, and Gibson has agreed to give Grigorieva $10 million when the baby is born. Plus, the Ukrainian opera singer will get a nice chunk of child support every month.
How “hilarious,” said The Hollywood Gossip blog. Gibson, a staunch Catholic who says there’s no salvation for anyone outside the church, is trampling church doctrine by divorcing his wife and having a child out of wedlock. “How are you preparing to rot in hell for all eternity, Mel?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week