That was quick, said gossip blog X17. Mel Gibson has confirmed a rumor that has swirled for weeks—he’s expecting a child with girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. Gibson, who has seven children with soon-to-be-ex-wife Robyn, shared the news with Jay Leno during a taping of The Tonight Show, saying, “I guess I’m Octo-Mel.”
Gibson may be laughing now, said Bill Zwecker in the Chicago Sun-Times, but his predicament is going to cost him plenty. Robyn Gibson is expected to win half of the movie star’s $750 million fortune, and Gibson has agreed to give Grigorieva $10 million when the baby is born. Plus, the Ukrainian opera singer will get a nice chunk of child support every month.
How “hilarious,” said The Hollywood Gossip blog. Gibson, a staunch Catholic who says there’s no salvation for anyone outside the church, is trampling church doctrine by divorcing his wife and having a child out of wedlock. “How are you preparing to rot in hell for all eternity, Mel?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week