hat was quick, said gossip blog X17. Mel Gibson has confirmed a rumor that has swirled for weeks—he’s expecting a child with girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. Gibson, who has seven children with soon-to-be-ex-wife Robyn, shared the news with Jay Leno during a taping of The Tonight Show, saying, “I guess I’m Octo-Mel.”
Gibson may be laughing now, said Bill Zwecker in the Chicago Sun-Times, but his predicament is going to cost him plenty. Robyn Gibson is expected to win half of the movie star’s $750 million fortune, and Gibson has agreed to give Grigorieva $10 million when the baby is born. Plus, the Ukrainian opera singer will get a nice chunk of child support every month.
How “hilarious,” said The Hollywood Gossip blog. Gibson, a staunch Catholic who says there’s no salvation for anyone outside the church, is trampling church doctrine by divorcing his wife and having a child out of wedlock. “How are you preparing to rot in hell for all eternity, Mel?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
Subscribe to the Week