That was quick, said gossip blog X17. Mel Gibson has confirmed a rumor that has swirled for weeks—he’s expecting a child with girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. Gibson, who has seven children with soon-to-be-ex-wife Robyn, shared the news with Jay Leno during a taping of The Tonight Show, saying, “I guess I’m Octo-Mel.”
Gibson may be laughing now, said Bill Zwecker in the Chicago Sun-Times, but his predicament is going to cost him plenty. Robyn Gibson is expected to win half of the movie star’s $750 million fortune, and Gibson has agreed to give Grigorieva $10 million when the baby is born. Plus, the Ukrainian opera singer will get a nice chunk of child support every month.
How “hilarious,” said The Hollywood Gossip blog. Gibson, a staunch Catholic who says there’s no salvation for anyone outside the church, is trampling church doctrine by divorcing his wife and having a child out of wedlock. “How are you preparing to rot in hell for all eternity, Mel?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week