It’s not like it’s something we haven’t seen before, said Britain’s Daily Mail, but a 1994 nude photo of French first lady Carla Bruni should fetch a pretty price when it’s sold at auction in Berlin next week. Only 10 numbered copies of the 16-by-24-foot print exist. It was shot “at the height of Miss Bruni’s modeling fame, when she was 26 and dating rock legend Mick Jagger.”
The bare-breasted photo—entitled “Carla Bruni in Bed”—is risqué, said Casey Chance in The First Post, though not as racy as a nude shot that sold for $96,000 a year ago. But neither image seems to embarrass French President Nicholas Sarkozy. Bruni’s husband says he has “no issue” with the nude photos, because his wife was, after all, a top fashion model at the time, and all the images of her are tasteful and have “artistic merit.”
It’s hard to keep up with “the adventures of French President Sarkozy’s wife,” said Tom Foreman in CNN.com. There seem to be nude photos of her everywhere, she released a song about drug abuse, and criticized the pope, saying his opposition to contraception was hurting the fight against AIDS in Africa. Carla Bruni’s candor can be shocking, but it’s winning her “legions of fans.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week