It’s not like it’s something we haven’t seen before, said Britain’s Daily Mail, but a 1994 nude photo of French first lady Carla Bruni should fetch a pretty price when it’s sold at auction in Berlin next week. Only 10 numbered copies of the 16-by-24-foot print exist. It was shot “at the height of Miss Bruni’s modeling fame, when she was 26 and dating rock legend Mick Jagger.”
The bare-breasted photo—entitled “Carla Bruni in Bed”—is risqué, said Casey Chance in The First Post, though not as racy as a nude shot that sold for $96,000 a year ago. But neither image seems to embarrass French President Nicholas Sarkozy. Bruni’s husband says he has “no issue” with the nude photos, because his wife was, after all, a top fashion model at the time, and all the images of her are tasteful and have “artistic merit.”
It’s hard to keep up with “the adventures of French President Sarkozy’s wife,” said Tom Foreman in CNN.com. There seem to be nude photos of her everywhere, she released a song about drug abuse, and criticized the pope, saying his opposition to contraception was hurting the fight against AIDS in Africa. Carla Bruni’s candor can be shocking, but it’s winning her “legions of fans.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week