usan Boyle was supposed to be the certain winner of Britain’s Got Talent, said Stephen Addison in Reuters. But with the Saturday final of the British TV show’s competition approaching, there are signs of a backlash against the overnight sensation who was “thrust via the Internet into the world spotlight.” Is Boyle’s appeal “wearing thin?”
“Sharp-tongued British singer Lilly Allen” certainly thinks so, said Clark Collis in Entertainment Weekly. Over the weekend, Allen said via Twitter that Susan Boyle can sing, but she’s “so overrated.” Allen said Boyle seemed to be a “lovely lady,” but that if talent mattered most, another singer—12-year-old Shaheen Jafargholi—could win.
Susan Boyle still has plenty of people on her side, said Min Lee in the Associated Press via Google. Kelly Clarkson—who won the debut season of American Idol in 2002—says she’s a Boyle fan. And many other show-business powerhouses, including Oprah Winfrey and Demi Moore, have already joined the growing list of Boyle's “celebrity admirers.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week