Good week for:
Lively campaigns, after porn star Stormy Daniels formed a committee to explore a run for the U.S. Senate representing Louisiana. Daniels hopes to challenge incumbent “family values” Republican David Vitter, who was named last year as a customer of a Washington prostitution ring.
Residents of Butt Hole Road, in South Yorkshire, U.K., who finally tired of the jokes and the busloads of American tourists snapping photos of the street sign, and changed the street’s name to the more respectable Archers Way.
Breaking away, with the news that 200 French prisoners will compete in a 1,400-mile bicycle race to foster their self-esteem. The prisoners’ Tour de France will be monitored by 124 guards on bicycles. “It’s kind of an escape for us,” said one prisoner, “a chance to break away from the daily reality of prison.”
Bad week for:
Johnny Sue-nami,’ also known as Jonathan Lee Riches, whom Guinness World Records named as the most litigious man in history for having filed more than 4,000 lawsuits against parties ranging from George W. Bush to Britney Spears and Nostradamus. Riches said Guinness had defamed him and vowed to sue.
Empathy, after Chen Fuchao of China, who held up traffic for five hours by threatening to jump off a bridge, was finally shoved off it by an impatient commuter. “Jumpers like Chen are very selfish,” explained retired soldier Lai Jiansheng, 66. Chen landed on an emergency air cushion and survived.
Hayden Panettiere, after the Heroes actress unveiled her new tattoo with the Italian message, “Vivere senza rimipianti.” It means “Live without regrets.” Or it would if the last word weren’t misspelled.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week