A lone religious fanatic murdered Dr. George Tiller in a Wichita, Kan., church on Sunday, said Mike Hendricks in the Kansas City Star, but "everyone who has ever called Tiller’s late-term abortion clinic a murder mill" was an accomplice. Anti-abortion activists at Operation Rescue say they're shocked that Tiller was gunned down, but they're hypocrites. The hatred that anti-abortion groups focused on Tiller made it easier for a "maniac" to justify pulling the trigger.
What we know about the suspect, Scott Roeder, suggests that the murder of George Tiller "may indeed have been political," said Allahpundit in Hot Air. But it's only the "right-wing nutroots degenerates" who are cheering the killer on. Mainstream pro-life activists see this murder for what it is—"domestic terrorism."
"Whoever murdered George Tiller has done a gravely wicked thing," said Princeton law professor Robert P. George in National Review. Violence against abortionists is not the way the pro-life movement defends "the lives of abortion's tiny victims." For that, we have "the chaste weapons of the spirit."
Please, the shaming of women and "hounding, even murdering," of people at clinics has become routine, said Gloria Feldt in Salon. George Tiller was "compassionate and courageous," helping "women in some of the most distressing circumstances imaginable, when their pregnancies had gone horribly, tragically wrong," and our leaders, from President Obama on down, go beyond words to stamp out the violence. "I am done with candlelight vigils."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week