A lone religious fanatic murdered Dr. George Tiller in a Wichita, Kan., church on Sunday, said Mike Hendricks in the Kansas City Star, but "everyone who has ever called Tiller’s late-term abortion clinic a murder mill" was an accomplice. Anti-abortion activists at Operation Rescue say they're shocked that Tiller was gunned down, but they're hypocrites. The hatred that anti-abortion groups focused on Tiller made it easier for a "maniac" to justify pulling the trigger.
What we know about the suspect, Scott Roeder, suggests that the murder of George Tiller "may indeed have been political," said Allahpundit in Hot Air. But it's only the "right-wing nutroots degenerates" who are cheering the killer on. Mainstream pro-life activists see this murder for what it is—"domestic terrorism."
"Whoever murdered George Tiller has done a gravely wicked thing," said Princeton law professor Robert P. George in National Review. Violence against abortionists is not the way the pro-life movement defends "the lives of abortion's tiny victims." For that, we have "the chaste weapons of the spirit."
Please, the shaming of women and "hounding, even murdering," of people at clinics has become routine, said Gloria Feldt in Salon. George Tiller was "compassionate and courageous," helping "women in some of the most distressing circumstances imaginable, when their pregnancies had gone horribly, tragically wrong," and our leaders, from President Obama on down, go beyond words to stamp out the violence. "I am done with candlelight vigils."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week